The DataBee Set Designer application is used to construct collections of rules for two other applications in the DataBee software. A collection of rules designed extract the rows from a source schema is called an extraction set and those rules are executed by the Set Extractor application. Rules designed to load the extracted data are called a loader set and those rules are executed by the Set Loader application. For a step-by-step tutorial guide to the design of extraction and loader sets please see the DataBee Quick Start Guide.
The Set Designer Application with Open Extraction Set
As with all DataBee applications, the Set Designer presents its global functions (loading, saving, exiting etc.) as a
column of buttons in the right hand side of the application window. The tabs on the top left are used to
provide areas of major functionality where the currently open extraction or loader set can be built or modified. Along the bottom of the window is a status line area where the Set Designer application provides information about its current state.
Note: The Set Designer application builds and maintains both extraction and loader sets. The screen presentation and the labels on some of the controls will sometimes change so they are appropriate to the type of currently opened set.
The Global Functions
- The Bee Logo Button
- The Bee Logo button brings up an About DataBee form which provides information on the Set Designer version and support contact information. The About DataBee form also contains the license key details and provides information on new upgrades which have been issued subsequent to this version.
- New Extraction Set
- The New Extraction Set Wizard button makes it simple and easy to create the basic structure of a new extraction set. This button activates a Wizard which presents a series of screens - each of which asks for information and explains each step in turn. Use this tool whenever a new Extraction Set needs to be created.
- New Loader Set
- Loader Sets are executed in the Set Loader application and perform the load of the data extracted by an extraction set in the Set Extractor application. This button creates the basic structure of a new loader set. Pressing on this button activates a Wizard which presents a series of screens - each of which asks for information and explains each step in turn.
- Open Extraction Set
- The Open Extraction Set button reads an Extraction Set and configures the Set Designer to use it. Once the
set is opened, it can be modified and re-saved.
- Open Loader Set
- The Open Loader Set button reads a Loader Set and configures the Set Designer to use it. Once the
set is opened, it can be modified and re-saved.
- Save Set
- Saves the currently open extraction or loader set to a disk file. The saved set file is a standard user readable XML text file. It is inadvisable to manually modify an extraction or loader set file. Please see the warnings in the extraction set or loader set overview before manually editing set files.
- Save Set As
- Saves the current extraction or loader set to a disk file with a new name.
- New Extraction/Loader Rule
- The title of this button will change depending on whether an extraction or loader set is currently open in the Set Designer application. Pressing this button will open a form which enables a new rule to be added to the set. The type of rules which can be added are specific to the type of set (extraction or loader) currently open.
- Quick Start Guide
- The Quick Start Guide button launches a help page which will guide you through the process of creating extraction and loader sets for your own databases.
- A button which launches context sensitive help on the Set Designer Application (this file).
- Closes the Set Designer application. If changes have been made to the currently open set you will be prompted to save before closing.
- Extraction/Loader Rules
- This tab supports the creation, editing and deletion of rules
for extraction and loader sets. The title and information displayed in this tab will change as is appropriate to the contents to the type of set currently open. For specific details on this topic, please see the individual help files for the Extraction Rules tab or the Loader Rules tab.
- Tables In Set
- The table structure information known to an extraction or loader set is held in Rule Controller rules. Because this table information is needed quite often when building and maintaining sets, the schema tables, columns, foreign keys and index details known to the Rule Controllers in the set are presented on this tab for easy reference. Please see the specific Tables In Set tab help file for more information on the contents of this tab.
- Rule Tools
- This tab contains a variety of tools to assist with the generation of rules for extraction and loader sets. In particular, there are number of tools specifically designed to assist with the identification of inter-table relationships in extraction sets. Please see the specific Rules Tools Tab page for detailed information on this topic.
- Misc. Setup
- This tab provides a variety of configuration options for extraction and loader sets - the available options depends on the type of set (extraction or loader) currently open. Please see the specific extraction set
Misc. Setup Tab or loader set
Misc. Setup Tab help page for detailed information on this topic.